sports from the outsiders perspective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Website for some of the best analysis and discussions about sports on the web.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NFL Rookie Contracts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GTR
Admin

NFL Rookie Contracts Empty
PostSubject: NFL Rookie Contracts   NFL Rookie Contracts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:56 pm

NFL Rookie Contracts

Posted: May 21, 2008

It is my opinion that one of the stupidest things in the NFL is how much unproven rookies get paid. i mean just look at Matt Ryan and Jake Long, i have nothing against these two in fact i even think that they will both have great careers, but they both got more than 30 million in guaranteed money!!! Ryan got 6 years, 72 million with 34.75 million of that guaranteed and Long got a 5 year, 57.5 million dollar contract with 30 million of that guaranteed. These guys have both never stepped foot on an NFL football field yet there making more money than most players in the NFL. Jake Long is even the highest paid Offensive Lineman in NFL history and Matt Ryan is the Highest paid Rookie in NFL history. This money should go to more proven veteran players who have stepped onto a NFL football field before and proven that they can play and help lead their teams to victory. Tom Brady has won 3 super bowls and is only 30 years old, Matt Ryan is getting Paid more than him. Jamarcus Russell was last years number 1 overall pick, Matt Ryan is getting paid more than him. Eli Manning was this years Super Bowl champion and Super Bowl MVP, Matt Ryan is getting paid more than him. Tony Romo has 55 TD's and 7114 yards over the past 2 seasons and led the Dallas Cowboys to the best record in the NFC last year , Matt Ryan is getting paid more than him. David Garrard led the Jacksonville Jaguars to the 2nd round of the playoffs and only threw 3 picks all season long, Matt Ryan is getting paid more than him. Drew Brees was the leader of the New Orleans Saints when they went to the NFC championship game 2 years ago and came second in the MVP voting the same year, Matt Ryan is getting paid more than him. I think that the NFL should adopt something like what the NBA has with a rookie salary cap that dictataes how much each rookie gets paid so more money can be spent on the proven veterans. The NBA's rookie pay scale works like this the first pick gets a certain amount then the second pick gets a little bit less and so on and so forth. There even both getting more than Ladainian Tomlinson who has a 8 year, 60 million dollar deal, LT won the MVP 2 years ago and led the league in rushing last year, he has the record for most rushing TD's in a season and hes not even making as much as a rookie offensive lineman.I'm going to finish with these quotes by the Tennessee Titans Center Kevin Mawae who said "As a guy who has been in the league for 14 now going on 15 years and being around other veteran guys, for a young guy to get paid that kind of money and never steps foot on an NFL football field, it's a little disheartening to think of,It makes it tough for a guy who's proven himself to say 'I want that kind of money' when the owners, all they're going to say is, 'Well, you weren't a first-round pick.'

E-mail me at talansports@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
https://outsidersports.forumotion.com

NFL Rookie Contracts
Page 1 of 1